Class 601 – A Tea Loaf
- Feel free to experiment with flavoured or fruit teas.
- Display your recipe to help the judge identify flavours
- Don’t use a bought tin liner; demonstrate your skills to the judge.
- Remember that a tea loaf should be served sliced with butter so there is no need for decoration.
Class 602 – One Victoria Sandwich Cake
- Read the instructions! Do not use icing sugar to dust the cake and only use a jam filling.
- You may use shop bought jam.
- You may use the “all-in” mix to achieve a lighter sponge.
Class 603 – One Decorated “Celebration” Cake
(max size 200mm overall)
- Covering of the cake can be royal icing, sugar-paste or buttercream. A cake or a dummy is acceptable as the decoration only will be judged. The cake must be presented on a cake board. The theme for the occasion should be obvious. No artificial decorations should be used. Wires used in flower sprays are acceptable but should be taped.
Class 605 – Six Fruit Scones
- Present six scones only, not seven or five.
- Judges are looking for consistency in size, shape and colour.
- Be careful not to burn the fruit on top of the scones.
Class 609 – Six Brown Rolls or Six White Rolls
- Display your rolls in a bread basket.
- You may do rolls of assorted shapes.
Class 616 – One Jar of any berry Fruit Jam
- Ensure that no company trade-marks are visible on any jars.
- Lids should be brand new, re-used lids may taint the product.
- Fill jars so that as much air is displaced as possible. This helps to preserve the jam for longer.
Class 617 – One Jar of Fruit Jelly
- A fruit jelly should be clear, containing no fruit solids.
- Polish your jar to make it as bright as possible when staging.
- A fruit jelly should wobble.
Class 618 – One Jar of Fruit Marmalade
- Keep the shred size uniform.
Class 620 – A Jar of Chutney
- Chutney should be well ‘cooked down’. A relish has ingredients that are only half cooked.
- Please state if the chutney is ‘hot’ or contains a strong flavour.
- If you are trying to achieve an unusual flavour then let the judge know by displaying the ingredient.