Open to all schools in Worcester with school garden involvement.
Pershore College is proud to sponsor the Schools’ Gardening Competition
To request an application Form please email us at email@example.com
|Class 1200||The Pershore College Worcester Schools Garden Competition - Open to all schools in Worcester with school garden involvement. To produce a pupil’s written account of your gardening experience and to produce & display a ‘School Garden Scrapbook’ covering cultivation, environmental and educational aspects of the Garden.
Open to all schools in Worcester with each school’s entry being comprising of:
- a scrapbook
- a statement of the school’s objectives for its garden or allotment
- a visit by the judges to the school garden or allotment
- a written piece by one, or some of your pupils
One of the principal items will be your own school garden scrapbook covering your pupils practical and educational ‘journey’ through the seasons, from ground preparation to harvest and consumption of produce. Compilation of material for this should ideally begin as soon as possible.
We will again be looking at the school’s aims for its garden, and pupils. Cultivation, environmental and educational aspects of the garden are all important. A written statement covering this needs to be submitted by the school with its entry form, and will be assessed along with the other entry items.
A visit to your allotment garden will be arranged by the judges before the end of the summer term.
Finally the pupil’s written piece, which should tell in their own words of their experiences on your plot, what they have seen, done and learnt during the year. This should be submitted ideally by the end of term, but by the end of July at the very latest.
Prizes donated by Pershore College:
- The Winning School: A paid-for coach trip for a class to visit Pershore College and have a guided tour of the fantastic horticulture facilities
(the cost of the coach will be covered by the College).
- Runner-Up: £100 worth of plants to choose for either your school garden or
school grounds, selected from the wide range we have available at Pershore
College Garden Centre and Nursery.
- 2nd Runner-Up: £50 worth of plants to choose for either your school garden
or school grounds, selected from the wide range we have available at Pershore
College Garden Centre and Nursery.
Set in beautiful countryside between Pershore and Evesham, Pershore College is Worcestershire’s land-based college, offering a range of courses for school-leavers stretching from agri-technology to veterinary nursing. If your particular interest is plants, then Pershore College is the right place for you, as we have the best facilities in the region and different courses depending on what you want to focus on.
Entry forms must be submitted no later than 5pm on Friday 10th June 2022. This should be accompanied by the school’s objectives for this aspect of its curriculum.
- The documentary submissions will form your school’s public display at the show. Please ensure you adhere to GDPR regulations.
- Regarding the plot visits for their assessment – in the event of a large number of entries the judges reserve the right to shortlist the gardens we would like to visit.
- Official photographs will be taken of the garden at the time of judging. However you may include your own photographs as part of your scrapbook entry.
- Points will be allocated to each of: the garden; scrapbook; written piece; and the objectives, with Gold, Silver and Bronze awards going to the three top scoring entries.
- Entry form and objectives to be submitted by Friday 10 June 2022 to allow adequate time for planning and carrying out site visits during the second half of June.
- Documents – pupil’s piece and scrapbook. Submitted no later than Monday 1 August 2022.
- Allotment plot or garden visit. Proposed dates (second half June 2022), whilst schools are still in session.
Judging Criteria and points allocation will be awarded in order of importance to: site visit, scrapbook, pupil’s written piece and the school’s objectives.
How to enter
To enter please email us for an entry form at firstname.lastname@example.org